C ommunity Services
Cortner Chapel is available during regular office hours for visits by individuals, families, and groups. Prearrangement is preferred so personnel are available for tours of the facility. Lectures to hospice organizations, schools, church groups, and university classes are available and conducted upon request. Information is gladly provided over the phone or is available at the funeral home by counselors or in printed form. Questions about funeral services are always welcome!
The Cortner Philosophy
Cortner Chapel was established in 1910 with the express purpose of serving the city of Redlands and surrounding communities with the most caring and compassionate funeral services possible. That commitment continues to this very day. The management and funeral counselors of Cortner Chapel are dedicated professionals who strive every day to assist families at a most difficult time in their lives with the arrangement of a dignified funeral service for a loved one.
Our Community Pledge
We can promise those families that select Cortner Chapel that they will always experience funeral service personnel who are understanding and supportive and who endeavor to assist them in selecting services and merchandise with which they are comfortable. We pledge the highest quality service within a beautifully appointed facility. Our funeral service charges and merchandise provide a range in cost that comfortably accommodate the financial means of every family. Family satisfaction is our goal in every instance for memorialization of a loved one should always leave family members with the feeling that the services they selected were appropriate and dignified.
Every family can expect to be treated with dignity and respect regardless of their financial ability. We pledge to maintain the highest ethical standards in the funeral services we provide to the Redlands community.
History of Cortner Chapel
In 1902, two young men arrived in Redlands from Tennessee looking for work. F. Arthur Cortner and his brother George were born in Wartrace, Tennessee to a family of nine boys and two girls. Arthur, the seventh son of the family, attended grammar school and Brandon Training School. When he was 21, and worried about his health, his father gave him permission to come West. After three months of living in a tent on Washington Street in Redlands, he got a job with F.A. Wales, who operated a small funeral parlor on State Street. In 1905, Arthur and George bought a half interest from Wales, and in February the firm moved into a new building at Cajon and Olive, now occupied by the Y.W.C.A.. In July 1910, the firm of Cortner Brothers was born, and established its own building at the corner of Sixth and Olive, where it remained until December 1932, at which time the present quarters were constructed at 211 Brookside Avenue next to the old historical Redlands Post Office. George later went on to become business manager of the University of Redlands.