H istory of Cortner Chapel
In 1902, two young men arrived in Redlands from Tennessee looking for work. F. Arthur Cortner and his brother George were born in Wartrace, Tennessee to a family of nine boys and two girls. Arthur, the seventh son of the family, attended grammar school and Brandon Training School. When he was 21, and worried about his health, his father gave him permission to come West. After three months of living in a tent on Washington Street in Redlands, he got a job with F.A. Wales, who operated a small funeral parlor on State Street. In 1905, Arthur and George bought a half interest from Wales, and in February the firm moved into a new building at Cajon and Olive, now occupied by the Y.W.C.A.. In July 1910, the firm of Cortner Brothers was born, and established its own building at the corner of Sixth and Olive, where it remained until December 1932, at which time the present quarters were constructed at 211 Brookside Avenue next to the old historical Redlands Post Office. George later went on to become business manager of the University of Redlands.